The year ended in heartache for the U9 football team as they just failed to progress into the next round of the ISA Cup. On a cold, wet and windy morning at Bridgewater, the boys could not find their spark in a closely fought contest. In the end, the early Christmas presents gifted to opponents Forrest Park, both in attack and defence, proved the difference in the two sides.

A disastrous start saw Bridgewater concede two early goals, as the ball was not cleared and found its way into the back of the net. A third followed soon after and the team was almost out of the competition before they got started. However, the half time score of 3-0 did not really reflect the game accurately, as the opposition goalkeeper and centre back had performed heroics to keep out the Bridgewater attacks.  Tommy, Anton and Alex all had chances to score, with Alex and Sam missing open nets when the keeper could be beaten.

Nevertheless, the team came out fighting in the second half, playing with greater speed and tactical awareness. Alex and Tommy pulled goals back before Forrest Park extended their lead to 4-2. Two amazing saves from the keeper looked to have broken the Bridgewater spirit, but with Alex scoring twice to complete his hat trick, the comeback was complete, and the game was taken into extra time.

Bridgewater looked the dominant team and pressed for a winner. Unfortunately, a brilliant Alex headed was saved and as the ball broke, Sid and Tom were caught out and the Forrest Park striker pounced to score past the stranded Kian in the Bridgewater net. Again, the team refused to give up and a goal mouth scramble of epic proportions was somehow cleared away from the Forrest Park net and ended up in the back of the Bridgewater goal moments later. With the last kick of the game Sam made it 6-5, but time ran out on Bridgewater and a jubilant Forrest Park scraped into the quarter-finals of the ISA Cup.

Alex Hat Trick Unable to Get U9s Off the Hook!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: