Prep Five Greek Day

Prep Five enjoyed a Greek History Day on Wednesday, using costumes, drama, dance, board games and art to learn about the two rival cities, Athens and Sparta.

Molly was a suitably hard-hearted Spartan mother, sending her seven year old son Heracles (also known as Nathan) off too army school, where he learnt to be a ruthless warrior. Kayley modelled a Spartan soldier’s armour, while Joel, Alfie and Jackson tested the Spartan weapons and shield, all looking appropriately fearsome!
Back in Athens, the home of the very first theatre, Joshua and Evie dressed as two monstrous characters from mythology, Medusa and the Minotaur. Meanwhile, a rich Athenian couple- better known as Esme and Sabri- went shopping for slaves at the Agora, choosing Luca B to work in their silver mines and Harrison as their potter.

In the afternoon, we made clay coins using Greek designs including snakes, bees, turtles, temples and Zeus’s lightning bolt. Next, we moved to the hall to dress up for a performance of Persephone, a myth which explains why we have seasons. Mason was the dark and sinister God Hades, ably assisted by Alfie, Josh and Joel as Cerberus the howling three headed dog, and Dexter as Charon who ferried the dead across the River Stix. As in traditional Greek plays, the chorus told the story and provided a lively musical accompaniment- Sabri’s horn playing was especially rousing- while the masked heroine Demeter and her daughter Persephone, played by Chloe and Abigail, acted out the events.

Finally, we ended our day with some Greek dancing and tried balancing the Goddess Hera’s magic peacock feathers on our fingers…. tricky! At the end of the day we were able to make an informed choice as to whether we would have wanted to live in Sparta or Athens. Most of our intrepid class chose the rigours of Sparta, although a few of us preferred the more civilised life in Athens. Many thanks to Andy and Alison from The Makers of History, who gave us such an exciting day and brought Ancient Greece to life. Thanks too to all our parents for their continued support.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Prep Five Greek Day

1. 😏😏😏 says:

Thank you for all the things that the teachers 👩🏻‍🏫 had Prepared for prepV and I had a great time 😋😋 and I hope that I can do it again !☺️☺️☺️☺️

2. Dexter says:

This Greek day was really fun, my favourite part of it was when I was the king muhaha but overall it was a good day…

3. Evie B says:

I loved this Greek day it was interesting and we had lots of fun and games with dressing up and looking what they did in there days. When some activity boxes come around, our table had the theatre box and I dressed up as the minotaur.
    from Evie B prep v

4. Alfie turley says:

It was really good and I enjoyed the day.

5. Anonymous says:

It was extremely good I wish I was there

6. 🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🏻‍♀️ says:

I would like to play the ancient Greek games again

7. Luca Barooah says:

I really liked when we try to balance a feather on our finger and then flip it onto our leg it was a brilliant day and I should remember it when I am in prep 6 and I hope that the people who came in are proud off them self for a brilliant day they did for prep 5.

8. luca cervellione says:

I loved everything(especially the spartan game)and the Greek play

9. Anonymous says:

I really enjoyed doing this Greek day and had fun playing the board games thank you Mrs Sweeney for orgnising this thank yuo !!!!

10. Jasmine says:

I enjoyed Greek day and learning spartas and Athens my favourite part of the day was playing Greek games

We would love to receive your comments - please type them in the box below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s